Yes it can.
A patient who is diagnosed with cancer in any area of the body might need to go through radiation treatments and chemotherapy. These cancer treatments can affect your mouth causing many side effects:
- Xerostomia or dry mouth, which follows a reduced production of saliva.
- Pain or burning feeling in the mouth, tongue and gums which might follow a low amount of saliva in the mouth.
- Cavities because of the low amount of saliva.
- Jaw stiffness.
- Problems with eating, speaking, and swallowing.
- Decreased ability to taste foods.
- Periodontal disease.
- Weakened immune system in general.
If you have to go through a cancer treatment, it is important to consult your dentist to make sure your teeth and mouth stay healthy.
Full article: Cancer Treatments and Oral Health
In French: Est-ce que les traitements du cancer peuvent affecter la bouche?