Sleep apnea is a condition in which the airway completely closes when a person sleeps. Here are some facts about snoring and sleep apnea:
- In the USA, 75 million people suffer from snoring.
- As many as 18 million Americans suffer from undiagnosed and untreated sleep apnea.
- Snoring and sleep apnea increase the risk of hypertension, heart disease and stroke.
- Oral appliances offer non-invasive treatment to sleep apnea. Surgery is invasive and costly with unpredictable results, while the CPAP is worn by less than 50% of its owners because of discomfort.
- 60% of males and 40% of females over the age of 60 snore.
- Loudness of snoring can reach as high as 90 decibels, the range that ear protectors are required in the workplace.
- Several states in the USA have announced legislation that requires commercial drivers undergo medical evaluation for sleep disorders before issuing renewal licenses.
- Recently published research establishes dental appliances as the first line of treatment for snoring and mild to moderate sleep apnea. In a study, ten of the eleven patients successfully treated for sleep apnea, with both the CPAP and a dental appliance preferred the dental appliance as their long term treatment option.