How can you tell that you are grinding your teeth? Bruxism is an anomaly where the person affected grinds his or her teeth. Bruxism occurs in most people, but is often light, or occasional, and does not affect someone’s health. But when tooth grinding becomes more frequent, it may initiate significant complications, leading to severe damage towards the jaws and teeth.
Since teeth grinding occurs mostly during sleep, people may not be aware of it. However, a migraine or jaw pain, especially in the morning, are symptoms that suggest the presence of bruxism. Many people learn that they grind their teeth from their spouses who hear teeth grinding during the night.
If you suspect that you are suffering from teeth grinding, you are recommended to consult your dentist. He or she will check for signs of bruxism, such as tooth wear or cracking of the jaw, and propose a convenient treatment.
Tooth loss is an unhealthy situation and many people believe it is something inevitable when you grow old. The fact is you don’t need to lose your teeth if you take care of them all your life. They will help you savour foods and nourish yourself in order to maintain you healthy for a long time.
By understanding the reasons why people might lose their teeth, it is possible to give a smart attention to your overall oral health in order to keep your teeth healthy all your life. Here are the causes of tooth loss:
- Poor oral hygiene increases the chances of you getting tooth decay and gum disease. Dentists advise to brush your teeth after each meal, or at least twice a day, and to floss at least once a day. It is also recommended to visit your dentist every six months for a check-ups and cleanings.
- Poor nutrition can ruin your teeth. Foods that contain a lot of sugar and acids can damage your teeth and gums. Such diets initiate cavities.
- Poor habits such as tooth grinding (bruxism) uses up your teeth over the years and make them shorter. People who grind intensely can also fracture their teeth. Smoking can make gum disease worse, which leads to tooth loss.
- If your kids play contact sports such as football, hockey, basketball and martial, they should wear a mouth guard to prevent trauma that can fracture of injure a tooth.
- Some people have an intense fear of dentists and never visit one, even if they are suffering from severe tooth ache. Not seeing a dentist for a problem in your mouth can worsen the condition over time and eventually lead to tooth loss.
- Some people cannot afford dental treatments. But it’s not everything done by dentists that’s overly expensive. Sometimes you can alternative treatments that are less costly. Remember also that preventing problems costs less than repairing problems.
Full article: Causes and Consequences of Tooth Loss
In French: Pour quelles raisons les gens peuvent-ils perdre leurs dents?
It is such a burden to suffer from a sensitive tooth. It bothers during meals, while drinking something hot or cold, even sometimes while breathing air through the mouth.
There are many factors that can cause sensitive teeth:
- Brushing the teeth in a hard or strong way can wear out the enamel and cause tooth sensitivity.
- If the gum level recedes, due to gum disease or vigorous brushing, the root becomes exposed, making the tooth sensitive.
- A fracture of a tooth can expose the dentin.
- Cavities and tooth decay can of course cause the teeth to be sensitive.
- Grinding the teeth wears down the enamel.
- Tooth whitening products can cause a temporary sensitivity to the teeth.
- Certain mouthwashes are acidic and long term use can wear away the enamel of the tooth.
- Foods high in acid content, such as soft drinks, citric fruits, or ice-tea, wear out the enamel if consumed excessively.
- Recent dental treatments (fillings, cleanings, root canals or crowns) can cause sensitivity to the repaired tooth for a few weeks.
A severe tooth ache, that is constant and prevents sleep, can be the cause of more serious problems and should be checked by a dentist as soon as possible.
Source: Sensitive Teeth
In French: Dents sensibles
If someone suspects teeth grinding, either because the dentist noted it or the spouse complained about it, there are many ways to control it, depending on how severe the grinding is.
If the teeth grinding occurs during the daytime, it is possible to be conscious about it and try not to put the upper and lower teeth tightly against each other.
If it happens during the nighttime, these simple procedures can help for mild cases:
- Reduce stress.
- Reduce foods containing caffeine.
- Relax the chewing muscles in the evening by applying a wet and warm cloth to the face.
If all these don’t work, the dentist can fabricate a bite splint that should be worn at night. A bite splint is an acrylic appliance that is custom made for each person. It can be worn either on the upper teeth, or the lower teeth, which helps to prevent teeth grinding when it is well adjusted by the dentist.
Source: Bruxism (Teeth Grinding)?
In French: Comment arrêter le grincement des dents?